17 September 2011

Divine Providence

Divine Providence – Overall I think the album is great. Just a little bummed out I had already heard a bunch of the songs already. Other than that I can’t find anything negative about it.

First Four
The Bump – this one was made to be played live. It sort of reminds me of a j roddy walston and the business tune. I think I like the whistling. My favorite of the first four.

Funny Word – good song, standard deer tick

Let’s All Go To The Bar – similar to the bump with the sing back chorus, made for a live show. This one reminds me of the dropkick murphys. The drums stand out for me.

Clownin Around – good tune, sounds the most polished of the first four. Dennis definitely has a decent amount of reverb on his vocals here right?

Second Four – strongest run on the album

Main Street – I really like this tune, definitely one of my favorites. It caught me on the first listen. It is pretty simple as far as I can tell but that is fine with me.

Chevy Express – Sprinkla was right on, this song is as good as it gets. Tempo, music, good lyrics sprinkled in…it has it all. The song definitely catches your ears right away.

Something to Brag About – we have all heard this tune live a few times. This is a great take on it, high energy, great guitar riffs, you can’t help bouncing your head around.

Walkin Out The Door – at first it is an abrupt change from John’s vocals but once you get over that it is a really good tune. They did a good job with the keyboards on this one, I think it adds a lot to the song.

Last Four

Make Believe – definitely heard this one a few times before. It is kind of an interesting take on it with the keyboards synth style.

Now It’s Your Turn – another song we have heard Dennis sing several times live. This is a really good version, it has a little lynyrd skynyrd twang to it. His voice sounds good I just don’t think it sounds like it does live. They should use the reverb live too. This or Miss K is the best of the last four.

Electric – I bet this one grows on me to become one of my favories, the strings in the middle are a great touch.

Miss K – definitely the catchiest tune of the album. It is a good choice for the first single. It is polished and showcases the whole band.

Hidden track – seems like something Johnny Corndog would write. it made me laugh which i think was the goal.

1 comment:

  1. i guess it is Ian on Now It's Your Turn...i guess it doesn't matter how many times you have heard it live if you forget who sings it.

    ReplyDelete